from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A nestling hawk or falcon, especially one to be trained for falconry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A young hawk or falcon in the nest, or that has not yet fledged, especially one that will be trained for falconry.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A nesting or unfledged bird; in falconry, a young hawk from the nest, not able to prey for itself.
- adj. Unfledged, or newly fledged.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In falconry, a hawk which has been brought up from the nest, as distinguished from a hawk caught and trained: same as nias.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an unfledged or nestling hawk
Middle English eias, from an eias, alteration of *a nias, an eyas, from Old French niais, from Latin nīdus, nest; see sed- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Alteration of nyas, by misanalysis of ‘a nyas’ as ‘an eyas’. (Wiktionary)