from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Either of two folds of skin and muscle that can be closed over the exposed portion of the eyeball.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thin skin membrane that covers and moves over an eye.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The cover of the eye; that portion of movable skin with which an animal covers or uncovers the eyeball at pleasure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The cover of the eye; that portion of movable skin with which an animal covers the eyeball or uncovers it at pleasure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. either of two folds of skin that can be moved to cover or open the eye
From eye + lid. (Wiktionary)