from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various nocturnal beetles of the family Lampyridae, characteristically having luminescent chemicals in the posterior tip of the abdomen that produce a flashing light. Also called lightning bug. See Regional Note at lightning bug.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A nocturnal, bioluminescent beetle of the family Lampyridae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any luminous winged insect, esp. luminous beetles of the family Lampyridæ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An insect which has the faculty of becoming luminous; a lampyrid or elaterid beetle which emits phosphorescent light from organs in some part of the body.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. nocturnal beetle common in warm regions having luminescent abdominal organs
- n. tropical American click beetle having bright luminous spots
fire + fly (Wiktionary)