from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A soft membraneous spot on the head of a baby due to incomplete fusion of the cranial bones.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as fontanel, 2.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, an opening for the discharge of pus.
- n. A vacancy between bones of the skull of a young animal, due to incompleteness of the process of ossification.
- n. Some similar opening between other bones, as in the scapular arch of some batrachians.
- n. Also fontinel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any membranous gap between the bones of the cranium in an infant or fetus
Old French fontenelle. (Wiktionary)