from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The part of the face between the eyebrows, the normal hairline, and the temples.
- n. The front part of something.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The part of the face above the eyebrows and below the hairline.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The front of that part of the head which incloses the brain; that part of the face above the eyes; the brow.
- n. The aspect or countenance; assurance.
- n. The front or fore part of anything.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The fore or front upper part of the head; the part of the face which extends from the usual line of hair on the top of the head to the eyes; the brow.
- n. Confidence; assurance; audacity; front: same as face, 5.
- n. In entomology, the upper part of an insect's epicranium, including the front and vertex.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the large cranial bone forming the front part of the cranium: includes the upper part of the orbits
- n. the part of the face above the eyes
Middle English forhed, from Old English forhēafod : for-, fore- + hēafod, head; see head.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old English forhēafod, corresponding to fore- + head. (Wiktionary)