from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A swimming event or leg of an event in which the contestants may choose any stroke.
- n. The crawl.
- n. A competition, as in figure skating, skiing, or surfing, in which any maneuver or movement is allowed and competitors are judged on their artistic expression, acrobatic skill, and athletic expertise.
- n. A style of wrestling in which all noninjurious holds or tactics are permitted.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A swimming event in which the contestants may choose any stroke.
- n. The swimming stroke commonly referred to as the front crawl or the Australian crawl.
- n. A style of wrestling in which any non-injurious holds are permitted.
- n. A sports event where competitors can choose their own method of participation.
- n. A form of rapping in which the emcee makes up lyrics while rapping.
- n. Modifying programming code in production and quality assurance environments, violating the existing procedures for promoting the same.
- v. To improvise one's own style; to ad-lib (especially in rap music).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a race (as in swimming) in which each contestant has a free choice of the style to use
free + style (Wiktionary)