from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or belonging to the fish family Gadidae, which includes the cods and the hakes.
- n. A fish of the family Gadidae.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to cod or the Gadidae family.
- n. Any fish of the family Gadidae
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the family of fishes (Gadidæ) which includes the cod, haddock, and hake.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or having the characters of the Gadidæ or Gadoidea.
- n. A fish of the family Gadidæ; a gadid. Also gadean.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a soft-finned fish of the family Gadidae
New Latin Gadus, fish genus (from Greek gados, a kind of fish) + -oid.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From modern Latin gadus, from Ancient Greek γάδος (gados, "cod"). (Wiktionary)