from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A container filled with articles, such as party gifts, to be drawn unseen.
- n. Slang A miscellaneous collection: The meeting evolved into a grab bag of petty complaints.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a gift, purchase, etc. whose contents are concealed until after a selection is made
- n. any random assortment, selection or possibility
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. at fairs, a bag or box holding small articles which are to be drawn, without being seen, on payment of a small sum.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bag containing articles to be obtained by thrusting the hand within and seizing one, the privilege of doing so being previously bought, a common money-getting device at charitable fairs; figuratively, any unscrupulous device for gain or spoils, into which the element of uncertainty enters.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a container from which a person draws a wrapped item at random without knowing the contents
- n. an assortment of miscellaneous items
From grab + bag. (Wiktionary)