from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Pompous or bombastic speech or expression.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. lofty, pompous or bombastic speech or writing
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The use of lofty words or phrases; bombast; -- usually in a bad sense.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition or quality of being grandiloquent; lofty speech or expression; bombast.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. high-flown style; excessive use of verbal ornamentation
From grandiloquent, from Latin grandiloquus : grandis, great + loquī, to speak; see tolkw- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)