from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various finches of the family Fringillidae of Europe and America, having a thick conical bill.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several finches and cardinals that have a large, powerful bill
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of various species of finches having a large, stout beak. The common European grosbeak or hawfinch is Coccothraustes vulgaris.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bird having a notably large, heavy, or turgid bill: usually a general and indefinite name of birds of the family Fringillidæ: in the plural loosely synonymous with the nominal subfamily Coccothraustinœ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various finches of Europe or America having a massive and powerful bill
Partial translation of French grosbec : gros, thick, large (from Old French; see gross) + bec, beak.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)