from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several North American songbirds of the genus Sialia, having blue plumage and usually a rust-colored breast in the male.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various North American birds of the genus Sialia in the thrush family. Their plumage is blue or blue and red.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small song bird (Sialia sialis), very common in the United States, and, in the north, one of the earliest to arrive in spring. The male is blue, with the breast reddish. It is related to the European robin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An American oscine passerine bird, of the genus Sialia, of which blue is the chief color.
- n. Some other bird of a blue color: as, the fairy bluebird of Java, Irene turcosa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fruit-eating mostly brilliant blue songbird of the East Indies
- n. blue North American songbird
blue + bird (Wiktionary)