from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or belonging to the Oscines, a large suborder of passerine birds that includes most songbirds.
- n. A bird of the suborder Oscines.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to songbirds
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to the Oscines.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the Oscines: applied to those Passeres which are acromyodian and to their type of structure: as, an oscine bird; an oscine syrinx. Also oscinine, oscinian.
- n. An oscine bird; a member of the Oscines.
- n. A crystalline alkaloid, C8H13O2N, found in crude belladonine and also made from other alkaloids. It melts at 110° C. Also called pseudatropine, scopoline, and oxytropine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. passerine bird having specialized vocal apparatus
- adj. of or relating to the songbirds
From New Latin Oscinēs, suborder name, from Latin oscinēs, pl. of oscen, bird used in augury; see kan- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)