from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various often large food and game fishes of the genera Epinephelus, Mycteroperca, and related genera, which inhabit warm seas.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various large food and game fishes of the subfamily Epiphelinae, especially the genera Epinephelus and Mycteroperca, which inhabit warm seas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of several species of valuable food fishes of the genus Epinephelus, of the family Serranidæ, as the red grouper, or brown snapper (Epinephelus morio), and the black grouper, or warsaw (Epinephelus nigritus), both from Florida and the Gulf of Mexico.
- n. The tripletail (Lobotes).
- n. In California, the name is often applied to the rockfishes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A serranoid fish of the genus Epinephelus or Mycteroperca.
- n. Any one of many different fishes in different countries.
- n. The black jew-fish, Garrupa nigrita.
- n. Mycteroperca bonaci.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. usually solitary bottom sea basses of warm seas
- n. flesh of a saltwater fish similar to sea bass
Portuguese garupa.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Portuguese garoupa ("grouper"). (Wiktionary)