from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a unit of cavalry.
- n. A cavalry horse.
- n. A mounted police officer.
- n. A state police officer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A soldier of private rank in cavalry or armour. Abbreviated Tpr.
- n. A cavalry horse; charger.
- n. A soldier.
- n. A troopship.
- n. A state trooper.
- n. One who endures adversity or hardship with an attitude of stoicism and persistence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A soldier in a body of cavalry; a cavalryman; also, the horse of a cavalryman.
- n. A state police officer; -- also called state trooper.
- n. A mounted policeman.
- n. Trouper.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A private soldier in a body of cavalry; a horse-soldier.
- n. A cavalry horse; a troop-horse.
- n. A troop-ship.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mounted policeman
- n. a state police officer
- n. a soldier in a motorized army unit
- n. a soldier mounted on horseback
From troop + -er, from French troupe. (Wiktionary)