from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A post with a sign giving directions for travelers, usually placed at a crossroad.
- n. Something that serves as a guide or an example; a guideline.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a signpost
- n. anything that provides guidance; a guideline
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A post at the fork of a road, with a guideboard on it, to direct travelers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A post placed at the point of division or intersection of two or more roads, and displaying a sign for directing travelers on their way; a finger-post.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a post bearing a sign that gives directions or shows the way
- n. a rule or principle that provides guidance to appropriate behavior
Sorry, no etymologies found.