from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Handed down to one person after being used and discarded by another.
- adj. Of inferior quality; shabby.
- n. Something, such as an article of clothing, that is passed on from one person to another.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An item that is passed along for someone else to use; especially, a piece of clothing or other item which has been outgrown by a older sibling and passed down to a younger one.
- adj. Used or second-hand, passed along by its prior user
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. obtained or used after prior use by another person.
- n. An outgrown garment given to one person after use by another; -- usually transferred between members of a family or close friends.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as reach-me-down.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. passed on from one person to another
- n. outgrown garment passed down from one person to another
Sorry, no etymologies found.