from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A public executioner who beheads condemned prisoners.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An executioner whose method of dispatching the condemned is decapitation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An executioner who cuts off heads.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A chief person; a head man.
- n. One who cuts off the heads of condemned persons; a public executioner.
- n. A laborer in a colliery who conveys the coal from the workings to the horseway.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an executioner who beheads the condemned person
From head’s + man. (Wiktionary)