from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The section of a bridle that fits over a horse's head. Also called headpiece.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A synthetic or leather headpiece or headcollar, for leading or tying up a horse.
- n. The part of a bridle that fits over a horse's head and supports other elements. (US)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That part of a bridle or halter which encompasses the head.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That part of a bridle which encompasses the head.
- n. Same as capistrum, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the band that is the part of a bridle that fits around a horse's head
Sorry, no etymologies found.