from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The branch of zoology that deals with reptiles and amphibians.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The branch of biology dealing with reptiles (Reptilia) or amphibians.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The natural history of reptiles; that branch of zoölogy which relates to reptiles, including their structure, classification, and habits.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science of reptiles, in a broad sense —that is, of reptiles proper and batrachians; the natural history of reptiles.
- n. Reptiles collectively: as, the herpetology of Borneo.
- n. Also, erroneously, erpetology.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of zoology concerned with reptiles and amphibians
Greek herpeton, reptile (from herpein, to creep) + -logy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek ἑρπετόν (herpeton, "reptile") + -logy (suffix indicating a field of study or work) (Wiktionary)