from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A corrupt politician.
- n. A member of a Chinese-American secret society of paid assassins and blackmailers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ruffian, especially one of a gang.
- n. A member of one of several Chinese criminal gangs associated with illegal immigration and prostitution.
- n. A swindler, especially a corrupt politician.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A ruffian; one who hounds, or spies upon, another; app. esp. to the members of certain alleged societies among the Chinese.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bold, roystering rowdy; an insolent ruffian; one of a gang which commits outrages on persons or property “for fun.”
- n. A member of a Chinese secret society, band, or gang, said to exist in California and other parts of the United States, associated for blackmailing purposes, and even for assassination, in the interest and pay of other societies or individuals.
- Supremely happy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a corrupt politician
After the Highbinders, a group of ruffians in New York City c. 1806.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From a nativist gang that flourished in New York City in the early 19th century, possibly an alteration of hide + binder (Wiktionary)