from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who holds up and robs travelers on a road.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person usually mounted on horseback who robbed travelers on public roads.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who robs on the public road; a highway robber.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A robber on the highway; one who robs passengers in public roads or places.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a holdup man who stops a vehicle and steals from it
From highway + man. (Wiktionary)