from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A diminutive human.
- n. A miniature, fully formed individual believed by adherents of the early biological theory of preformation to be present in the sperm cell.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A little man.
- n. The nerve map of the human body that exists on the parietal lobe of the human brain.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A little man; a dwarf; a manikin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tiny human being that may be produced (according to a fancy of Paracelsus) artificially, without a natural mother.
- n. A little man; a dwarf.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a tiny fully formed individual that (according to the discredited theory of preformation) is supposed to be present in the sperm cell
- n. a person who is very small but who is not otherwise deformed or abnormal
Latin, diminutive of homō, man; see dhghem- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin homunculus, diminutive of homō ("man"). (Wiktionary)