from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hodgepodge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hodgepodge; a collection containing a variety of miscellaneous things.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cooked dish containing a medley of ingredients; specifically, in Scotland, a kind of thick broth made by boiling lamb, mutton, or beef with many kinds of vegetables.
- n. An indiscriminate mixture; a medley or jumble; a hodgepodge.
- n. Synonyms See mixture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stew (or thick soup) made with meat and vegetables
- n. a motley assortment of things
Middle English hochepoche, alteration of hochepot; see hotchpot.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)