from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Emitting sparks of fire when struck with steel; scintillating; as, ignescent stones
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Emitting sparks of fire when struck with steel; scintillating.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Taking or giving out fire; emitting sparks of fire when struck, as with steel; scintillating: as, ignescent stones.
- n. Anything that emits sparks; specifically, a stone or mineral that gives out sparks when struck with steel or iron.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. can emit sparks or burst into flame
Latin ignescens, present participle of ignescere to become inflamed, from ignis fire: compare French ignescent. (Wiktionary)