from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An inn or hostel for pilgrims in Turkey.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An Ottoman soup kitchen built between the fourteenth and nineteenth centuries, often part of a larger complex or waqf.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lodging house for Mohammedan pilgrims.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of hospice or hostelry for the free accommodation of Mohammedan pilgrims and other travelers in the Turkish empire.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a hostel for pilgrims in Turkey
Turkish, from Arabic 'imāra, building, from 'amara, to build; see ʿmr1 in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)