from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To obtain (something) by asking for it; to procure upon request.
- adj. obtained by asking for it
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Obtained by entreaty.
- transitive v. To obtain by request or entreaty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To obtain by entreaty or petition.
From the participle stem of Latin impetrāre, from im- + pātrāre ("to achieve, make happen"). (Wiktionary)