from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A relative by marriage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A relative by marriage (or through affinity). Affinal relative; affine.
- n. Sometimes specifically a parent-in-law of one's child, for which the dedicated terms co-mother-in-law, co-father-in-law are rare
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A person who is related by marriage, as distinguished from a
blood relative; esp. mother-in-law (the mother of one's spouse), father-in-law (the father of one's spouse), brother-in-law (the brother of one's spouse, or husband of one's spouse's sister), sister-in-law (the sister of one's spouse, or wife of one's spouse's brother).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a relative by marriage
Back-formation from such compounds as mother-in-law.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)