from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An element in a mixture or compound. See Synonyms at element.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of the substances present in a mixture.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which enters into a compound, or is a component part of any combination, recipe, or mixture; an element; a constituent.
- adj. Entering as, or forming, an ingredient or component part.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Entering as a component part; constituent.
- n. A person entering; an incomer.
- n. That which enters into a compound, or is a component part of a compound or mixture; one of the elements of a combination or composition, as a dish, drink, or medicine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. food that is a component of a mixture in cooking
- n. a component of a mixture or compound
- n. an abstract part of something
Middle English, from Latin ingrediēns, ingredient-, present participle of ingredī, to enter; see ingress.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin ingrediens, present participle of ingredior ("I go or enter into or onto"). (Wiktionary)