from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not working or functioning.
- adj. No longer in force; countermanded: declared the previous instructions inoperative.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. not working or functioning; either idle or broken
- adj. No longer legally binding
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not operative; not active; producing no effects
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not operative or operating; destitute of activity or of effect; inert: as, laws rendered inoperative by neglect; inoperative remedies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not working or taking effect
in- + operative. (Wiktionary)