from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See delphinium.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any plant of the genus Delphinium or Consolida
- n. In particular, a tall robust flowering plant with many purplish-blue flowers, Delphinium glaucum.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of ranunculaceous plants (Delphinium), having showy flowers, and a spurred calyx. They are natives of the North Temperate zone. The commonest larkspur of the gardens is Delphinium Consolida. The flower of the bee larkspur (Delphinium elatum) has two petals bearded with yellow hairs, and looks not unlike a bee.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any plant of the genus Delphinium: so called from the spur-shaped formation of calyx and petals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous cultivated plants of the genus Delphinium
Sorry, no etymologies found.