from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An aromatic Turkish tobacco.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of pungent Turkish tobacco.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A superior quality of Turkish smoking tobacco, so called from the place where produced, the ancient Laodicea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fine variety of Turkish tobacco.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a seaport on the western coast of Syria
- n. aromatic Turkish tobacco
Short for Latakia (tobacco), after Latakia, Syrian seaport.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latakia (the Syrian port from where the tobacco is shipped, and near where it is produced), from Arabic اللاذقية. (Wiktionary)