from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A leather thong or strap used to fasten a shoe or sandal on the foot.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thong or cord, especially one used to fasten a shoe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The string that fastens a shoe; a shoestring.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The strap or thong by which a shoe or sandal is fastened.
- n. A fish, Trigla cuculus, of the family Triglidæ, found on the west coast of Europe and in the Mediterranean Sea.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a leather strap or thong used to attach a sandal or shoe to the foot
Middle English lachet, from Old French lacet, lachet, from lace, lace; see lace.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French lachet, variant of lacet, diminutive of laz ("lace"). (Wiktionary)