from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that is worthless.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A worthless or despicable person.
- adj. Worthless; wasteful.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who loses by sloth or neglect; a worthless person; a lorel.
- adj. Wasteful; slothful.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A good-for-nothing, worthless fellow; a scamp.
- Worthless; wasteful.
Middle English, from lōsen, past participle of lēsen, to lose, from Old English -lēosan; see lorn.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English losel (also lorel), from *losen, loren, past participle of lesen ("to lose"), equivalent to lose + -le. (Wiktionary)