from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small Old World parrots, especially of the genus Agapornis, often kept as cage birds and noted for the apparent affection between mates.
- n. Informal A couple who are openly affectionate or demonstrative with each other, especially in public.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any small parrot from one of the nine species within the genus Agapornis (Greek: αγάπη agápē 'love'; όρνις órnis 'bird'), sometimes they are kept as cage birds, noted for their affection towards each other.
- n. (One of the persons of ) an openly affectionate couple.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any one of several species of small, short-tailed parrots, or parrakeets, of the genus Agapornis, and allied genera. They are mostly from Africa. Some species are often kept as cage birds, and are celebrated for the affection which they show for their mates.
- n. A small Australian parakeet (Melopsittacus undulatus) usually light green with black and yellow markings in the wild but bred in many colors; also called the budgie.
- n. small African parrot noted for showing affection for their mates.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A little parrot or parrakeet, remarkable for the affection it shows for its mate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small Australian parakeet usually light green with black and yellow markings in the wild but bred in many colors
- n. small African parrot noted for showing affection for their mates
love + bird (Wiktionary)