from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A parakeet (Melopsittacus undulatus) native to Australia and having green, yellow, or blue plumage. It is a popular cage bird bred in a variety of colors not found in wild populations. Also called shell parakeet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small species of parakeet native to Australia and often kept as pets, Melopsittacus undulatus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. small Australian parakeet (Melopsittacus undulatus) usually light green with black and yellow markings in the wild but bred in many colors.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An Australian name of the grass-parrakeet, Melopsittacus undulatus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small Australian parakeet usually light green with black and yellow markings in the wild but bred in many colors
Probably alteration of Kamilaroi (Aboriginal language of southeast Australia) gijirrigaa.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Gamilaraay gijirrigaa. (Wiktionary)