from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lunula.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Anything crescent-shaped; a crescent-shaped part or mark; a lunula or lune.
- n. A special area in front of the beak of many bivalve shells, sometimes shaped like a double crescent, but more often heart-shaped.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Anything crescent-shaped; a crescent-shaped part or mark; a lunula; a lune.
- n. A lune. See Lune.
- n. A small or narrow crescent.
- n. A special area in front of the beak of many bivalve shells. It sometimes has the shape of a double crescent, but is oftener heart-shaped. See Illust. of Bivalve.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Something in the shape of a little moon or crescent.
- n. One of the perforations formed by the union of digitate processes of the test of certain thin forms of echinoids, as Rotula Augusti.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the crescent-shaped area at the base of the human fingernail
French, from Latin lunula, diminutive of luna ("moon"). (Wiktionary)