from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Offensive An institution for the mentally ill.
- n. Informal A place of great disorder and confusion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A house where insane persons are confined; an insane asylum
- n. A place exhibiting stereotypical characteristics of such a house.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An house or institution where insane persons are confined; an insane asylum; a bedlam; -- usually used in a deprecatory sense.
- n. A chaotic, raucus or highly disordered situation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A house where insane persons are confined for cure or for restraint; a lunatic asylum; a bedlam.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pejorative terms for an insane asylum
Sorry, no etymologies found.