from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small colorful birds of the family Pipridae, found in forests of Central and South America.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several small, passerine, South American birds of the family Pipridae
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of numerous small birds belonging to Pipra, Manacus, and other genera of the family Pipridæ. They are mostly natives of Central and South America. Some are bright-colored, and others have the wings and tail curiously ornamented. The name is sometimes applied to related birds of other families.
- n. A dwarf. See manikin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See manikin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman who wears clothes to display fashions
- n. a life-size dummy used to display clothes
- n. any of numerous small bright-colored birds of Central America and South America having short bills and elaborate courtship behavior
Alteration of manikin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Probably from manikin (Wiktionary)