from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or time of being an adult male human.
- n. The composite of qualities, such as courage, determination, and vigor, often thought to be appropriate to a man.
- n. Adult males considered as a group; men.
- n. The state of being human.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being man as a human being.
- n. State of being a man as distinguished from a child or a woman.
- n. The qualities ascribed to manliness; courage; bravery; resolve.
- n. The male genitalia.
- n. Men, considered as a group.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being man as a human being, or man as distinguished from a child or a woman.
- n. Manly quality; virility; courage; bravery; resolution.
- n. The genitalia of a male human.
- n. The condition of being a human being.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being man, or of belonging to the human race, as distinguished from higher or lower orders of existence.
- n. The state of being a man, as distinguished from a woman or a boy; virility.
- n. The quality of being a man or manly; manliness; possession of masculine qualities, as courage, fortitude, resolution, honor, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the status of being a man
- n. the quality of being human
- n. the state of being a man; manly qualities
From Middle English manhode, also manhede, from man + -hede ("-head"), equivalent to man + -hood. Cognate with Middle Low German manheit ("manhood"), German Mannheit ("manhood"). More at man, -head, -hood. (Wiktionary)