from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large wooden percussion instrument with resonators, resembling a xylophone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A musical instrument similar to a xylophone but clearer in pitch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A musical istrument of percussion, consisting of bars yielding musical tones when struck.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An African musical instrument formed of a number of strips of wood of various sizes yielding different notes when struck by a hammer. The sound is often reinforced by resonators formed from calabashes placed underneath.
- n. In the Kongo region and Angola, a name of a musical instrument with iron keys; the sansa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a percussion instrument with wooden bars tuned to produce a chromatic scale and with resonators; played with small mallets
Portuguese, of Bantu origin; akin to Kimbundu ma-rimba : ma-, pl. n. pref. + rimba, xylophone, hand piano.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Portuguese, via a Bantu source, perhaps Kimbundu marimba ("xylophone"). (Wiktionary)