from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or used in mastication: masticatory muscles.
- adj. Adapted for chewing.
- n. A medicinal substance chewed to increase salivation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something chewed, originally as a medicine, now typically for pleasure or to increase the flow of saliva.
- adj. Of, or relating to mastication.
- adj. Used for chewing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Chewing; adapted to perform the office of chewing food.
- n. A substance to be chewed to increase the saliva.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating or pertaining to mastication; used in or effected by chewing: as, the masticatory apparatus or process.
- n. A substance chewed to excite the secretion of saliva.
From the participle stem of Latin masticare. (Wiktionary)