from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of improving something or the state of being improved.
- n. An improvement.
- n. The linguistic process by which a word over a period of time grows more elevated in meaning or more positive in connotation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An improvement, betterment or amelioration
- n. The process in which a term gains a more positive connotation over time
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or operation of meliorating, or the state of being meliorated; improvement.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or process of making or becoming better; improvement; amelioration.
- n. plural In Scots law, improvements made by a tenant upon the property which he rents, and for which he is in certain cases entitled to compensation from the landlord.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of relieving ills and changing for the better
- n. a condition superior to an earlier condition
- n. the linguistic process in which over a period of time a word grows more positive in connotation or more elevated in meaning
Sorry, no etymologies found.