from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The 13th letter of the Hebrew alphabet. See Table at alphabet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The thirteenth letter of many Semitic alphabets/abjads (Phoenician, Aramaic, Hebrew, Syriac, Arabic and others).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the 13th letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An abbreviation of memorandum, placed before a note of something to be remembered.
- n. The thirteenth letter () in the Hebrew alphabet, corresponding to the English masculine Its numerical value is XL.
- n. An abbreviation of member;
- n. of the Latin memento, remember;
- n. of memoir.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the 13th letter of the Hebrew alphabet
Hebrew, of Phoenician origin; see my2 in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Phoenician 𐤌𐤌 (mem, "water"), from Proto-Semitic *maʾ- (“*maʾ-/*may-”). (Wiktionary)