from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An offensive smell; a stench.
- n. A poisonous or foul-smelling gas emitted from the earth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A poisonous or foul smelling gas emitted from the earth
- n. A distinctive odour that is very unpleasant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Noxious, pestilential, or foul exhalations from decomposing substances, filth, or other source.
- n. A genus of mammals, including the skunks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pestilential exhalation, especially from the earth; any noxious or ill-smelling emanation, as from putrid or filthy substances; a noisome or poisonous stench.
- n. [capitalized] [NL.] A genus of skunks, typical of the subfamily Mephitinæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a distinctive odor that is offensively unpleasant
- n. a poisonous or foul smelling gas emitted from the earth
- n. in some classifications: type genus of the subfamily Mephitinae
Latin mefītis, mephītis.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)