from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Very liberal in giving; generous.
- adj. Showing great generosity: a munificent gift. See Synonyms at liberal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Very liberal in giving or bestowing; lavish; as a munificent benefactor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Very liberal in giving or bestowing; lavish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Extremely liberal in giving or bestowing; very generous: as, a munificent benefactor or patron.
- Characterized by great liberality or lavish generosity: as, a munificent gift.
- Synonyms Bountiful, bounteous, princely. See beneficence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. very generous
Latin mūnificēns, mūnificent-, from mūnificus : mūnus, gift; see mei-1 in Indo-European roots + facere, to make; see fact.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin munificus, munificens ("liberal"), from munus ("gift") + facio ("I make"). (Wiktionary)