from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a hospital.
- adj. Of or being a secondary disorder associated with being treated in a hospital but unrelated to the patient's primary condition: a nosocomial infection.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, relating to, happening in a hospital
- adj. contracted in a hospital, or arising from hospital treatment
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a hospital.
- adj. Acquired in a hospital.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to a hospital: as, a nosocomial fever. See fever.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. taking place or originating in a hospital
From Late Latin nosocomi(um), hospital (ultimately from Greek nosos, disease + komein, to take care of) + -al.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From New Latin nosocomi ("hospital"), from Ancient Greek νοσοκομείον (nosokomeion, "hospital"), from νόσος (nosos, "disease, illness") + κομέω (komēo, "to take care of"). (Wiktionary)