from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A silver coin minted in Ancient Greece, valued at a sixth of a drachma.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small silver coin of Athens, the sixth part of a drachma, about three cents in value.
- n. An ancient weight, the sixth part of a drachm.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as obol.
- n. A small silver coin current in the middle ages in Hungary, Poland, Bohemia, etc.
- n. [capitalized] [NL.] In zoology, a genus of brachiopods of the family Lingulidæ, from the Silurian, having orbicular valves.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Greek unit of weight equal to one tenth of a gram
Latin obolus, from Ancient Greek ὀβολός (obolos), from ὀβελός (obelos). (Wiktionary)