from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A mechanical model of the solar system.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a clockwork model of the solar system
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An apparatus which illustrates, by the revolution of balls moved by wheelwork, the relative size, periodic motions, positions, orbits, etc., of bodies in the solar system.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A machine so constructed as to represent, by the movements of its parts, the motions and phases of the planets in their orbits. Similar machines are also called planetariums and cosmoscopes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. planetarium consisting of an apparatus that illustrates the relative positions and motions of bodies in the solar system by rotation and revolution of balls moved by wheelwork; sometimes incorporated in a clock
After Charles Boyle, Fourth Earl of Orrery (1676-1731), for whom one was made.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Named after Charles Boyle, 4th Earl of Orrery (1676-1731), for whom such a device was made. (Wiktionary)