from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The study of the pronunciation of words.
- n. The study of the relationship between the pronunciation of words and their orthography.
- n. The customary pronunciation of words.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The correct pronunciation of words.
- n. The study of correct pronunciation.
Greek orthoepeia, correctness of diction : ortho-, ortho- + epos, epe-, word; see wekw- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
In English from the 17th century. From Ancient Greek ὀρθοέπεια (orthoepeia, "correct pronunciation"), from ὀρθός (orthos, "correct") and ἔπος (epos, "word"). (Wiktionary)