from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small bone, especially one of the three bones of the middle ear.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small bone (or bony structure), especially one of the three of the middle ear.
- n. Bone-like joint or plate, especially:
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A little bone.
- n. One of numerous small calcareous structures forming the skeleton of certain echinoderms, as the starfishes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small bone or bonelet.
- n. A small hard nodule of chitin or some substance resembling bone.
- n. Also ossicule, ossiculum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small bone; especially one in the middle ear
Latin ossiculum, diminutive of os, bone; see ost- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Late 16th century from Latin ossiculum ("little bone, ossicle") from os ("bone"). (Wiktionary)